JoshKrisDan Home of Refuge
Old Ningo, Greater Accra Region, Ghana
The JoshKrisDan Home of Refuge in Old Ningo is the HFO flagship program. Land was purchased in 1998, a home design adopted, and construction was completed in 2000. It’s name is drawn from the combined names of the Moritz’ three children, Joshua, Kristen, and Daniel. 27 children are presently cared for through the home, including 5 young people who are attending university or post-secondary vocational schools.
Houseparents John and Esther Gozo, along with the part time staff of three, oversee the children and the day to day activities.
Child Partner, Ghana
Hearts of the Father Outreach in partnership with Samaritan’s Purse started the Operation Christmas Child program in Ghana, Africa. Distributions began in 1998 with 7,000 shoebox gifts and grew to over 90,000 in 2006. The shoeboxes are filled with school supplies, toys and personal hygiene items. Over 400,000 shoebox gifts were distributed during this time. Teams from the USA joined Ghanaian nationals for a portion of each year’s distributions. The vision to bring OCC to every Region of Ghana was accomplished. Distributions took place in orphanages, villages, schools, and homes for the handicapped.
Over the years, a capable National Leadership Team has been developed and in keeping with Samaritan’s Purse’s policy, oversight and coordination of the program has been transferred to them.
Association of Children’s Homes and Orphanages
(ACHO) Tema, Ghana
In 2007, John Moritz established a national Association of Children’s Homes and Orphanages in Ghana. The goal of the Association is to raise the standard of care for all of the children who are placed into homes and receive aid. The Association, working with the government, has established policies and guidelines for all children’s homes to follow. Other goals for the Association include the following:
- Provide training and resources so the homes can better serve the children
- Keep comprehensive records on all of the orphanages and children’s homes
- Insure proper sanitation, adequate infrastructure, and necessary health care
- Mandate and establish standardized accounting principles/practices and bring financial accountability through the collection of audited reports
- Raise funds for member homes and oversee the judicious use of those funds
- Act as a political lobby for children’s causes and serve as a collective voice on their behalf
Visit the home's